Pronunciation: (ri-fûr'), [key]
—v., -ferred, -fer•ring.
1. to direct for information or anything required: He referred me to books on astrology.
2. to direct the attention or thoughts of: The asterisk refers the reader to a footnote.
3. to hand over or submit for information, consideration, decision, etc.: to refer the argument to arbitration.
4. to assign to a class, period, etc.; regard as belonging or related.
5. to have relation; relate; apply.
1. to direct attention, as a reference mark does.
2. to have recourse or resort; turn, as for aid or information: to refer to one's notes.
3. to make reference or allusion: The author referred to his teachers twice in his article.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.