Pronunciation: (ri-fyOOz'), [key]
—v., -fused, -fus•ing.
1. to decline to accept (something offered): to refuse an award.
2. to decline to give; deny (a request, demand, etc.): to refuse permission.
3. to express a determination not to (do something): to refuse to discuss the question.
4. to decline to submit to.
5. (of a horse) to decline to leap over (a barrier).
6. to decline to accept (a suitor) in marriage.
7. Mil.to bend or curve back (the flank units of a military force) so that they face generally to the flank rather than the front.
8. Obs.to renounce.
to decline acceptance, consent, or compliance.
Pronunciation: (ref'yOOs), [key]
something that is discarded as worthless or useless; rubbish; trash; garbage.
rejected as worthless; discarded: refuse matter.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.