Pronunciation: (rē'ju-nl), [key]
1. of or pertaining to a region of considerable extent; not merely local: a regional meeting of the Boy Scouts.
2. of or pertaining to a particular region, district, area, or part, as of a country; sectional; local: regional differences in pronunciation.
3. Anat.of, pertaining to, or localized in a particular area or part of the body.
4. having, exhibiting, or characterized by regionalism: He writes regional novels.
1. Often, regionals. a regional competition or tournament: The basketball team won the regionals.
2. a regional company, branch, stock exchange, etc.: Regionals are getting stiff competition from the national firms.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.