Pronunciation: (ri-mān'), [key]
1. to continue in the same state; continue to be as specified: to remain at peace.
2. to stay behind or in the same place: to remain at home; I'll remain here when you go to the airport.
3. to be left after the removal, loss, destruction, etc., of all else: The front wall is all that remains of the fort.
4. to be left to be done, told, shown, etc.: Only the dishwashing remains.
5. to be reserved or in store.
1. Usually, remains. something that remains or is left.
a. miscellaneous, fragmentary, or other writings still unpublished at the time of an author's death.
b. traces of some quality, condition, etc.
c. a dead body; corpse.
d. parts or substances remaining from animal or plant life that occur in the earth's crust or strata: fossil remains; organic remains.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.