Pronunciation: (ri-plī'), [key]
—v., -plied, -ply•ing,
—n., pl. -plies.
1. to make answer in words or writing; answer; respond: to reply to a question.
2. to respond by some action, performance, etc.: to reply to the enemy's fire.
3. to return a sound; echo; resound.
4. Law.to answer a defendant's plea.
to return as an answer (usually used in a negative combination or fol. by a clause with that): Not a syllable did he reply. He replied that no one would go.
1. an answer or response in words or writing.
2. a response made by some action, performance, etc.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.