Pronunciation: (ri-kwest'), [key]
1. the act of asking for something to be given or done, esp. as a favor or courtesy; solicitation or petition: At his request, they left.
2. an instance of this: There have been many requests for the product.
3. a written statement of petition: If you need supplies, send in a request.
4. something asked for: to obtain one's request.
5. the state of being asked for; demand.
6. by request, in response or accession to a request: The orchestra played numbers by request.
1. to ask for, esp. politely or formally: He requested permission to speak.
2. to ask or beg; bid (usually fol. by a clause or an infinitive): to request that he leave; to request to be excused.
3. to ask or beg (someone) to do something: He requested me to go.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.