Pronunciation: (ri-kwīur'), [key]
—v., -quired, -quir•ing.
1. to have need of; need: He requires medical care.
2. to call on authoritatively; order or enjoin to do something: to require an agent to account for money spent.
3. to ask for authoritatively or imperatively; demand.
4. to impose need or occasion for; make necessary or indispensable: The work required infinite patience.
5. to call for or exact as obligatory; ordain: The law requires annual income-tax returns.
6. to place under an obligation or necessity: The situation requires me to take immediate action.
7. Chiefly Brit.to desire; wish to have: Will you require tea at four o'clock?
to demand; impose obligation: to do as the law requires.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.