Pronunciation: (ri-spond'), [key]
1. to reply or answer in words: to respond briefly to a question.
2. to make a return by some action as if in answer: to respond generously to a charity drive.
3. to react favorably.
4. Physiol.to exhibit some action or effect as if in answer; react: Nerves respond to a stimulus.
5. to correspond (usually fol. by to).
6. Bridge.to make a response.
to say in answer; reply.
1. Archit.a half pier, pilaster, or the like projecting from a wall as a support for a lintel or an arch, the other side of which is supported on a free-standing pier or column.
a. a short anthem chanted at intervals during the reading of a lection.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.