Pronunciation: (ri-tīur'munt), [key]
1. the act of retiring or the state of being retired.
2. removal or withdrawal from service, office, or business.
3. the portion of a person's life during which a person is retired.
4. a pension or other income on which a retired person lives: His retirement is barely enough to pay the rent.
5. withdrawal into privacy or seclusion.
6. privacy or seclusion.
7. a private or secluded place.
8. Mil.orderly withdrawal of a military force, according to plan, without pressure from the enemy.
9. withdrawal of securities from the market by a corporation, as through payment at maturity, repurchase, or exchange.
noting or pertaining to retirement: retirement pay.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.