Pronunciation: (ri-venj'), [key]
—v., -venged, -veng•ing,
1. to exact punishment or expiation for a wrong on behalf of, esp. in a resentful or vindictive spirit: He revenged his murdered brother.
2. to take vengeance for; inflict punishment for; avenge: He revenged his brother's murder.
to take revenge.
1. the act of revenging; retaliation for injuries or wrongs; vengeance.
2. something done in vengeance.
3. the desire to revenge; vindictiveness.
4. an opportunity to retaliate or gain satisfaction.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.