Pronunciation: (rev'ur-uns, rev'runs), [key]
—n., v., -enced, -enc•ing.
1. a feeling or attitude of deep respect tinged with awe; veneration.
2. the outward manifestation of this feeling: to pay reverence.
3. a gesture indicative of deep respect; an obeisance, bow, or curtsy.
4. the state of being revered.
5. (cap.) a title used in addressing or mentioning a member of the clergy (usually prec. by your or his).
to regard or treat with reverence; venerate: One should reverence God and His laws.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.