Pronunciation: (rich'mund), [key]
1. former name of Staten Island (def. 2).
2. a port in and the capital of Virginia, in the E part on the James River: capital of the Confederacy 1861–65. 219,214.
3. Also called Rich•mond-up•on-Thames Pronunciation: (rich'mund u-pon"temz', -pôn"-). [key]a borough of Greater London, England, on the Thames River: site of Kew Gardens. 168,300.
4. a seaport in W California, on San Francisco Bay. 74,676.
5. a city in E Indiana. 41,349.
6. a city in E central Kentucky. 21,705.
7. a male given name.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.