Pronunciation: (rip'ur), [key]
1. a person or thing that rips.
2. Also,rip'per bill",rip'per act".a legislative bill or act for taking powers of appointment to and removal from office away from the usual holders of these powers and conferring them unrestrictedly on a chief executive, as a governor or mayor, or on a board of officials.
3. a double-ripper.
4. a killer who dispatches and often mutilates victims with a knife or similar weapon.
5. Mining.a hooklike tool, attached to earth-moving machinery, for tearing away ore, rock, etc.
6. Chiefly Brit. Slang.something especially strong, fine, or good of its kind.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.