Pronunciation: (rī'zing), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/rising.html on line 71 [key]
1. advancing, ascending, or mounting: rising smoke.
2. growing or advancing to adult years: the rising generation.
1. somewhat more than: The crop came to rising 6000 bushels.
2. in approach of; almost; well-nigh: a lad rising sixteen.
1. the act of a person or thing that rises.
2. an insurrection; rebellion; revolt.
3. something that rises; projection or prominence.
4. a period of leavening of dough preceding baking.
5. Chiefly South Midland and Southern U.S.a morbid swelling, as an abscess or boil.
6. Also called riser. Naut.a stringer supporting the thwarts of an open boat.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.