Pronunciation: (rīt), [key]
1. a formal or ceremonial act or procedure prescribed or customary in religious or other solemn use: rites of baptism; sacrificial rites.
2. a particular form or system of religious or other ceremonial practice: the Roman rite.
3. (often cap.) one of the historical versions of the Eucharistic service: the Anglican Rite.
4. (often cap.) liturgy.
5. (sometimes cap.) Eastern Ch., Western Ch. a division or differentiation of churches according to liturgy.
6. any customary observance or practice: the rite of afternoon tea.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.