Pronunciation: (rī'vul), [key]
—n., adj., v., -valed, -val•ing or (esp. Brit.) -valled, -val•ling.
1. a person who is competing for the same object or goal as another, or who tries to equal or outdo another; competitor.
2. a person or thing that is in a position to dispute another's preeminence or superiority: a stadium without a rival.
3. Obs.a companion in duty.
competing or standing in rivalry: rival suitors; rival businesses.
1. to compete with in rivalry: strive to win from, equal, or outdo.
2. to prove to be a worthy rival of: He soon rivaled the others in skill.
3. to equal (something) as if in carrying on a rivalry: The Hudson rivals any European river in beauty.
to engage in rivalry; compete.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.