Pronunciation: (riv'ur), [key]
1. a natural stream of water of fairly large size flowing in a definite course or channel or series of diverging and converging channels.
2. a similar stream of something other than water: a river of lava; a river of ice.
3. any abundant stream or copious flow; outpouring: rivers of tears; rivers of words.
4. (cap.) Astron.the constellation Eridanus.
5. Print.a vertical channel of white space resulting from the alignment in several lines of spaces between words.
6. sell down the river, to betray; desert; mislead: to sell one's friends down the river.
7. up the river, Slang.
a. to prison: to be sent up the river for a bank robbery.
b. in prison: Thirty years up the river had made him a stranger to society.
Pronunciation: (rī'vur), [key]
a person who rives.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.