Pronunciation: (rôr'ing, rōr'-), [key]
1. the act of a person, animal, or thing that roars.
2. a loud, deep cry or sound or a series of such sounds.
3. Vet. Pathol.a disease of horses, caused by respiratory obstruction or vocal cord paralysis, and characterized by loud or rough breathing sounds.
1. making or causing a roar, as an animal or thunder.
2. brisk or highly successful, as trade: He did a roaring business selling watches to tourists.
3. characterized by noisy, disorderly behavior; boisterous; riotous: roaring revelry.
4. complete; utter; out-and-out: a roaring idiot; a roaring success.
very; extremely: roaring drunk.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.