Pronunciation: (rōb), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/robe.html on line 75 [key]
—n., v., robed, rob•ing.
1. a long, loose or flowing gown or outer garment worn by men or women as ceremonial dress, an official vestment, or garb of office.
2. any long, loose garment, esp. one for wear while lounging or preparing to dress, as a bathrobe or dressing gown.
3. a woman's gown or dress, esp. of a more elaborate kind: a robe for the evening.
4. robes,apparel in general; dress; costume.
5. a piece of fur, cloth, knitted work, etc., used as a blanket, covering, or wrap: a buffalo robe; a lap robe.
to clothe or invest with a robe or robes; dress; array.
to put on a robe.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.