Pronunciation: (rōm), [key]
1. Harold (Jacob), born 1908, U.S. lyricist and composer.
2. Italian, Roma. a city in and the capital of Italy, in the central part, on the Tiber: ancient capital of the Roman Empire; site of Vatican City, seat of authority of the Roman Catholic Church. 2,600,000.
3. a city in central New York, E of Oneida Lake. 43,826.
4. a city in NW Georgia. 29,654.
5. the ancient Italian kingdom, republic, and empire whose capital was the city of Rome.
6. the Roman Catholic Church.
7. See Roman Catholicism.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.