Pronunciation: (rOOd), [key]
1. a crucifix, esp. a large one at the entrance to the choir or chancel of a medieval church, often supported on a rood beam or rood screen.
2. a cross as used in crucifixion.
3. a unit of length varying locally from 5½ to 8 yards (5 to 7 m).
4. a unit of land measure equal to 40 square rods or ¼ acre (0.10117 hectare).
5. a unit of 1 square rod (25.29 sq. m).
6. Archaic.the cross on which Christ died.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.