Pronunciation: (ros'trum), [key]
—pl. -traPronunciation: (-tru), [key] -trums.
1. any platform, stage, or the like, for public speaking.
2. a pulpit.
3. a beaklike projection from the prow of a ship, esp. one on an ancient warship for ramming an enemy ship; beak; ram.
4. Rom. Antiq.(in the forum) the raised platform, adorned with the beaks of captured warships, from which orations, pleadings, etc., were delivered.
5. Biol.a beaklike process or extension of some part; rostellum.
6. Brit. Theat.a raised platform or dais, esp. one with hinged sides that can be folded and stored within a relatively small space.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.