Pronunciation: (rot'n), [key]
—adj., -er, -est.
1. decomposing or decaying; putrid; tainted, foul, or bad-smelling.
2. corrupt or morally offensive.
3. wretchedly bad, unpleasant, or unsatisfactory; miserable: a rotten piece of work; a rotten day at the office.
4. contemptible; despicable: a rotten little liar; a rotten trick.
5. (of soil, rocks, etc.) soft, yielding, or friable as the result of decomposition.
6. Australian Slang.drunk.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.