Pronunciation: (rub'ur), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/rubber.html on line 79 [key]
1. Also called India rubber, natural rubber, gum elastic, caoutchouc. a highly elastic solid substance, light cream or dark amber in color, polymerized by the drying and coagulation of the latex or milky juice of rubber trees and plants, esp. Hevea and Ficus species.
2. a material made by chemically treating and toughening this substance, valued for its elasticity, nonconduction of electricity, shock absorption, and resistance to moisture, used in the manufacture of erasers, electrical insulation, elastic bands, crepe soles, toys, water hoses, tires, and many other products.
3. any of various similar substances and materials made synthetically. Cf. synthetic rubber.
4. See rubber band.
5. an eraser of this material, for erasing pencil marks, ink marks, etc.
6. Informal.a rubber tire or a set of rubber tires.
7. a low overshoe of this material.
8. an instrument or tool used for rubbing, polishing, scraping, etc.
9. a person who rubs something, as to smooth or polish it.
10. cutter (def. 7).
11. Brit.a dishcloth.
12. a person who gives massages; masseur or masseuse.
13. swipe (def. 6).
14. Baseball.an oblong piece of white rubber or other material embedded in the mound at the point from which the pitcher delivers the ball.
15. a coarse file.
16. Slang.a condom.
1. made of, containing, or coated with rubber: a rubber bath mat.
2. pertaining to or producing rubber: a rubber plantation.
Pronunciation: (rub'ur), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/rubber.html on line 188 [key]
1. (in certain card games, as bridge and whist)
2. a series or round played until one sidereaches a specific score or wins a specific number of hands.
3. a series consisting of an odd number of games won by the side winning the majority, usually two out of three.
4. the deciding game in such a series.
Also called rubber match. Sports.noting a deciding contest between two opponents who have previously won the same number of contests from each other.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.