Pronunciation: (rump), [key]
1. the hind part of the body of an animal, as the hindquarters of a quadruped or sacral region of a bird.
2. a cut of beef from this part of the animal, behind the loin and above the round. See diag. under beef.
3. the buttocks.
4. the last part, esp. that which is unimportant or inferior: a rump of territory.
5. the remnant of a legislature, council, etc., after a majority of the members have resigned or been expelled.
6. the Rump, Eng. Hist.See Rump Parliament.
constituting a subsidiary or small group or the remnant of a once larger organization: Our local Shakespeare Club will hold a rump meeting at the Elizabethan Drama Teachers' convention.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.