Pronunciation: (rup'chur), [key]
—n., v., -tured, -tur•ing.
1. the act of breaking or bursting: The flood led to the rupture of the dam.
2. the state of being broken or burst: a rupture in the earth's surface.
3. a breach of harmonious, friendly, or peaceful relations.
4. Pathol.hernia, esp. abdominal hernia.
1. to break or burst: He ruptured a blood vessel.
2. to cause a breach of: to rupture friendly relations.
3. Pathol.to affect with hernia.
to suffer a break or rupture.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.