Pronunciation: (ru&thslash;'ur-furd, ruth'-), [key]
1. Daniel, 1749–1819, Scottish physician and chemist: discoverer of nitrogen.
2. Ernest (1st Baron Rutherford of Nelson), 1871–1937, English physicist, born in New Zealand: Nobel prize for chemistry 1908.
3. John Sherman (Johnny), born 1938, U.S. racing-car driver.
4. Joseph Franklin, 1869–1942, U.S. leader of Jehovah's Witnesses.
5. Dame Margaret, 1892–1972, British actress.
6. a city in NE New Jersey. 19,068.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.