Pronunciation: (sad), [key]
—adj., sad•der, sad•dest.
1. affected by unhappiness or grief; sorrowful or mournful: to feel sad because a close friend has moved away.
2. expressive of or characterized by sorrow: sad looks; a sad song.
3. causing sorrow: a sad disappointment; sad news.
4. (of color) somber, dark, or dull; drab.
5. deplorably bad; sorry: a sad attempt.
6. Obs.firm or steadfast.
Pronunciation: (säd), [key]
the 14th letter of the Arabic alphabet.
seasonal affective disorder.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.