Pronunciation: (sānt), [key]
1. any of certain persons of exceptional holiness of life, formally recognized as such by the Christian Church, esp. by canonization.
2. a person of great holiness, virtue, or benevolence.
3. a founder, sponsor, or patron, as of a movement or organization.
4. (in certain religious groups) a designation applied by the members to themselves.
1. to enroll formally among the saints recognized by the Church.
2. to give the name of saint to; reckon as a saint.
For entries beginning with this word, see also St., Ste.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.