Pronunciation: (sal'u-man"dur), [key]
1. any tailed amphibian of the order Caudata, having a soft, moist, scaleless skin, typically aquatic as a larva and semiterrestrial as an adult: several species are endangered.
2. a mythical being, esp. a lizard or other reptile, thought to be able to live in fire.
3. any of various portable stoves or burners.
4. Metall.a mass of iron that accumulates at the bottom of a blast furnace as a result of the escape of molten metal through the hearth.
5. a metal plate or disk with a handle, heated and held over pastry, casserole crusts, etc., to brown or glaze it.
6. an oven usually heated from the top and bottom by gas, for cooking, browning, and glazing food.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.