Pronunciation: (sā'lum), [key]
1. a seaport in NE Massachusetts: founded 1626; execution of persons accused of being witches 1692; home of Nathaniel Hawthorne. 38,220.
2. a city in and the capital of Oregon, in the NW part, on the Willamette River. 89,233.
3. a town in SE New Hampshire. 24,124.
4. a town in SW Virginia, near Roanoke. 23,958.
5. a city in E Ohio. 12,869.
6. a city in central Tamil Nadu, in S India. 308,303.
7. an ancient city of Canaan, later identified with Jerusalem. Gen. 14:18; Psalms 76:2.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.