Pronunciation: (sā'lē-unt, sāl'yunt), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/salient.html on line 77 [key]
1. prominent or conspicuous: salient traits.
2. projecting or pointing outward: a salient angle.
3. leaping or jumping: a salient animal.
4. Heraldry.(of a beast) represented as leaping: a lion salient.
1. a salient angle or part, as the central outward-projecting angle of a bastion or an outward projection in a battle line.
2. Physical Geog.a landform that extends out beyond its surroundings, as a spur projecting from the side of a mountain. Cf. reentrant (def. 4).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.