Pronunciation: (sā'lēn, -līn), [key]
1. of, containing, or resembling common table salt; salty or saltlike: a saline solution.
2. of or pertaining to a chemical salt, esp. of sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc., as used as a cathartic.
3. of or pertaining to a method of abortion involving injection of hypertonic saline solution into the amniotic cavity during the second trimester.
1. a sterile solution of sodium chloride used to dilute medications or for intravenous therapy.
2. salty water; a salty solution.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.