Pronunciation: (sal'vij), [key]
—n., v., -vaged, -vag•ing.
1. the act of saving a ship or its cargo from perils of the seas.
2. the property so saved.
3. compensation given to those who voluntarily save a ship or its cargo.
4. the act of saving anything from fire, danger, etc.
5. the property saved from danger.
6. the value or proceeds upon sale of goods recovered from a fire.
to save from shipwreck, fire, etc.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.