Pronunciation: (sand), [key]
1. the more or less fine debris of rocks, consisting of small, loose grains, often of quartz.
2. Usually, sands. a tract or region composed principally of sand.
3. the sand or a grain of sand in an hourglass.
4. sands,moments of time or of one's life: At this stage of his career the sands are running out.
5. a light reddish- or brownish-yellow color.
6. Informal.courage; pluck.
7. sleeper (def. 10).
1. to smooth or polish with sand, sandpaper, or some other abrasive: to sand the ends of a board.
2. to sprinkle with or as if with sand: to sand an icy road.
3. to fill up with sand, as a harbor.
4. to add sand to: The mischievous child sanded the sugar.
Pronunciation: (sand; Fr. sänd), [key]
George Pronunciation: (jôrj; Fr. zhôrzh) [key] (Lucile Aurore Dupin Dudevant), 1804–76, French novelist.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.