Pronunciation: (sand'bag"), [key]
—n., v., -bagged, -bag•ging.
1. a bag filled with sand, used in fortification, as ballast, etc.
2. such a bag used as a weapon.
1. to furnish with sandbags.
2. to hit or stun with a sandbag.
a. to set upon violently; attack from or as if from ambush.
b. to coerce or intimidate, as by threats: The election committee was sandbagged into nominating the officers for a second term.
c. to thwart or cause to fail or be rejected, esp. surreptitiously or without warning: He sandbagged our proposal by snide remarks to the boss.
4. Poker.to deceive (one or more opponents) into remaining in the pot by refraining from betting on a strong hand, then raising the bet in a later round.
Poker.to sandbag one or more opponents.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.