Pronunciation: (skant), [key]
—adj., -er, -est,
1. barely sufficient in amount or quantity; not abundant; almost inadequate: to do scant justice.
2. limited; meager; not large: a scant amount.
3. barely amounting to as much as indicated: a scant two hours; a scant cupful.
4. having an inadequate or limited supply (usually fol. by of): scant of breath.
1. to make scant; diminish.
2. to stint the supply of; withhold.
3. to treat slightly or inadequately.
Scot. and North Eng. Dial.scarcely; barely; hardly.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.