Pronunciation: (sent), [key]
1. a distinctive odor, esp. when agreeable: the scent of roses.
2. an odor left in passing, by means of which an animal or person may be traced.
3. a track or trail as or as if indicated by such an odor: The dogs lost the scent and the prisoner escaped.
5. the sense of smell: a remarkably keen scent.
6. small pieces of paper dropped by the hares in the game of hare and hounds.
1. to perceive or recognize by or as if by the sense of smell: to scent trouble.
2. to fill with an odor; perfume.
to hunt by the sense of smell, as a hound.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.