Pronunciation: (sen'it), [key]
1. an assembly or council of citizens having the highest deliberative functions in a government, esp. a legislative assembly of a state or nation.
2. (cap.) the upper house of the legislature of certain countries, as the United States, France, Italy, Canada, Ireland, Republic of South Africa, Australia, and some Latin American countries.
3. the room or building in which such a group meets.
4. Rom. Hist.the supreme council of state, the membership and functions of which varied at different periods.
5. a governing, advisory, or disciplinary body, as in certain universities.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.