Pronunciation: (sär'junt), [key]
1. a noncommissioned army officer of a rank above that of corporal.
2. U.S. Air Force.any noncommissioned officer above the rank of airman first class.
3. a police officer ranking immediately below a captain or a lieutenant in the U.S. and immediately below an inspector in Britain.
4. a title of a particular office or function at the court of a monarch (often used in combination): sergeant of the larder; sergeant-caterer.
5. See sergeant at arms.
6. Also called ser'geant at law'. Brit.(formerly) a member of a superior order of barristers.
8. (cap.) a surface-to-surface, single-stage, U.S. ballistic missile.
9. a tenant by military service, below the rank of knight. Also, esp. Brit.,serjeant (for defs. 1–7, 9).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.