Pronunciation: (sûr'vur), [key]
1. a person who serves.
2. something that serves or is used in serving, as a salver.
3. a broad fork, spoon, or spatula for dishing out and serving individual portions of food, as vegetables, cake, or pie.
4. Eccles.an attendant on the priest at Mass, who arranges the altar, makes the responses, etc.
5. (in tennis, badminton, handball, etc.) the player who puts the ball or shuttlecock in play.
6. a computer that makes services, as access to data files, programs, and peripheral devices, available to workstations on a network. Cf. client, file server (in the Addenda).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.