Pronunciation: (shā'dē), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/shady.html on line 75 [key]
—adj., shad•i•er, shad•i•est.
1. abounding in shade; shaded: shady paths.
2. giving shade: a shady tree.
3. shadowy; indistinct; spectral.
4. of dubious character; rather disreputable: shady dealings.
5. on the shady side of, Informal.beyond (the specified age); more than: on the shady side of 40.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.