Pronunciation: (sham), [key]
—n., adj., v., shammed, sham•ming.
1. something that is not what it purports to be; a spurious imitation; fraud or hoax.
2. a person who shams; shammer.
3. a cover or the like for giving a thing a different outward appearance: a pillow sham.
1. pretended; counterfeit; feigned: sham attacks; a sham Gothic façade.
2. designed, made, or used as a sham.
1. to produce an imitation of.
2. to assume the appearance of; pretend to have: to sham illness.
to make a false show of something; pretend.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.