Pronunciation: (shē), [key]
—pron., sing. nom. she,
—poss. her or hers,
—pl. nom. they,
—poss. their or theirs,
—n., pl. shes.
1. the female person or animal being discussed or last mentioned; that female.
2. the woman: She who listens learns.
3. anything considered, as by personification, to be feminine: spring, with all the memories she conjures up.
1. a female person or animal.
2. an object or device considered as female or feminine.
Pronunciation: (shē'ur-hē', shē'hē'), [key]
she or he: used as an orthographic device to avoid he when the sex of the antecedent is unknown or irrelevant. Cf. she/he.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.