Pronunciation: (shē&thslash;), [key]
—v.t., sheathed, sheath•ing.
1. to put (a sword, dagger, etc.) into a sheath.
2. to plunge (a sword, dagger, etc.) in something as if in a sheath.
3. to enclose in or as if in a casing or covering.
4. to cover or provide with a protective layer or sheathing: to sheathe a roof with copper.
5. to cover (a cable, electrical connector, etc.) with a metal sheath for grounding.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.