Pronunciation: (shin), [key]
—n., v., shinned, shin•ning.
1. the front part of the leg from the knee to the ankle.
2. the lower part of the foreleg in cattle.
3. the shinbone or tibia, esp. its sharp edge or front portion.
4. Chiefly Brit.a cut of beef similar to the U.S. shank, usually cut into small pieces for stewing.
to climb by holding fast with the hands or arms and legs and drawing oneself up.
Pronunciation: (shēn, shin), [key]
1. the 22nd letter of the Hebrew alphabet.
2. the consonant sound represented by this letter.
Pronunciation: (shēn), [key]
the 13th letter of the Arabic alphabet.
Pronunciation: (shin, shēn), [key]
a Japanese offshoot of the Pure Land Sect, requiring only faith in Amida for salvation through his accumulated merit.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.