Pronunciation: (shī'nur), [key]
1. a person or thing that shines.
2. Slang.See black eye (def. 1).
3. any of various small American freshwater fishes having glistening scales, esp. a minnow.
4. any of various silvery, marine fishes, as the menhaden or butterfish.
5. a defect in silk or synthetic filament or fabric, produced either in the process of winding or as a result of shuttle friction and appearing on fabric as a shiny streak.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.