Pronunciation: (shûrt), [key]
1. a long- or short-sleeved garment for the upper part of the body, usually lightweight and having a collar and a front opening.
2. an undergarment of cotton, or other material, for the upper part of the body.
3. a shirtwaist.
4. a nightshirt.
5. in one's shirt sleeves, without a coat: It was so hot that they worked in their shirt sleeves. Also,in one's shirt-sleeves.
6. keep one's shirt on, Informal.to refrain from becoming angry or impatient; remain calm: Tell him to keep his shirt on until we're ready.
7. lose one's shirt, Informal.to lose all that one possesses; suffer a severe financial reverse: He lost his shirt in the stock market.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.