Pronunciation: (shrēk), [key]
1. a loud, sharp, shrill cry.
2. a loud, high sound of laughter.
3. any loud, shrill sound, as of a whistle.
1. to utter a loud, sharp, shrill cry, as birds.
2. to cry out sharply in a high voice: to shriek with pain.
3. to utter loud, high-pitched sounds in laughing.
4. (of a musical instrument, a whistle, the wind, etc.) to give forth a loud, shrill sound.
to utter in a shriek: to shriek defiance.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.