Pronunciation: (shut'ur), [key]
1. a solid or louvered movable cover for a window.
2. a movable cover, slide, etc., for an opening.
3. a person or thing that shuts.
4. Photog.a mechanical device for opening and closing the aperture of a camera lens to expose film or the like.
1. to close or provide with shutters: She shuttered the windows.
2. to close (a store or business operations) for the day or permanently.
to close or close down: The factory has shuttered temporarily.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.